Here are the 20 things that authentic leaders do differently:
1. Are you afraid to express your opinions even though those opinions might be different than the opinions of the majority.
My personal belief is: 'A theory is one man's opinion' and every one has a right to their opinion. Whether it makes me in a minority - it does not bother me as long as I have an original thought, an original concept, an original solution in short The One Man's Theory.
2. An Authentic leader would never apply advice given without first consulting the guide within. Their own conscience, personal sense of Ethics tells them What is Right, What is Wrong. Such people may not force you to accept their beliefs but they are great at persuasion.
3. Authentic Leaders are driven to action by their inner-motor rather than external triggers. They are not looking for Prompts to Action, Cues. Their inner complex mathematics of Plus, Minus, Multiply, Divide, Under Root, Square Root etc. helps their decision making supported by the inner-motor, motivation leading to Passion at times.
4. Authentic Leaders are proud of their unique traits, their personal talent, special skills, personal strengths, Personal Value systems that make them stand out from the crowd.
5. An Authentic Leaders' Schedule has unique daily rituals, like making coffee in a special way or meditating in candlelight before going to bed. These can be strange to maverick from leader to leader and Unique !
6. Authentic Leaders allow their friends and people they meet to show their true selves. There is openness, cogency, transparency and ownership for their own mistakes.
7. Authentic Leaders search in conversations for depth, and not for gossip or emotional news. I once had a boss, who would sit thru a review for three long days and we had come to measure him as someone who'd - For every 1000 Sentences Nod his head, for may be 100,000 sentences respond in Mono-syllables and would sum up the Review meeting in Two or three sentences ! The classic case was that of a CEO who summed up by saying that "My only message to you all is to get me Profit, Profit, Profit !:)"
8.Authentic Leaders are perfectly happy in their own company and they’re great friends with their own selves. At times I have wondered looking at them how they climbed the ladder from the Sales/ Marketing functions while still being called 'Loners' or 'Ambiverts' or 'Relator' ( the last expression borrowed from Marcus Buckingham's StrengthsFinder). and not at all a 'Woo' Person !
9. Authentic Leaders value experiences over things. For them, an experience is a New learning as not everything leads to Success. And they value and learn from others experiences as well.
10. Authentic Leaders make the most out of the situations they find themselves in, be the situation bad or good or ugly. Their effort in the Bad and Ugly situations are tests where they display their problem solving and Leading from the Front skills and put their creativity and innovation to full use.
11. Authentic Leaders don’t judge others because they look beyond the external facade of words and appearances. No, they are not endowed with X-Ray vision yet, they can see thru the person and recognise hidden/ latent talent in most unlikely of the people and back them up to bring out the best in their people.
12. Authentic Leaders as mentioned in Pt. 7 above talk less because they conserve energy for wording things that matter. Few of them take physical notes, most make these on their various gadgets or mentally and link these to the Strategy/ Direction which they define in very clear terms.
13. Authentic Leaders listen closely because they’re fascinated with exploring the depths of other beings.
14. Authentic Leaders don’t complain as they take full responsibility of their lives.
15. Authentic Leaders have high self-esteem and appear confident because they have nothing to hide.
16. Authentic Leaders don’t get upset when someone obviously dislikes them. They allow others to form whatever opinions they wish to have.
17. Authentic Leaders see beauty and perfection in things that other people dismiss.
18. Authentic Leaders try to support others and sincerely wish for people to grow and reveal their unlimited selves.
19. Authentic Leaders let go of critical and ill-wishing people, although they don’t hold any bad feelings towards them.
20. Authentic Leaders see the unity and interconnectedness of all life, and hear the harmonious symphony of the world in all life’s situations.